Monday, August 2, 2010

The Shawl

I read The Shawl. This book is about a woman, also a Jew, who gets sent to a concentration camp with her daughter, cousin and her family.

Her daughter ended up murdered by the soldiers. After a few years she ended up moving to Florida and her cousin moved to New York. This woman has problems with people but she wants this shawl. This shawl is the thing that saved her baby. This might sound crazy but the shawl kept the mother and daughter in tact.

I liked this book but it was awfully sad what the soldiers did to her baby. I also liked that it had a beautiful ending. I am really suprised that I finished this book because Andi had said that this is a college read. With that some words were difficult to understand.

I look forward to reading more short stories because I am acctually writing a book of short stories. I am planning on sending it into a writing competition with a chance of getting it published. If it does not win I may just self-publish it. Either way, hopefully you guys are able to read my short-stories.

I have to admit though, this author may have me beat seeing as I am younger and have way less experience than her. Wish me luck!! I NEED IT. :P

5 comments:

KIKA said...

what a lovely review! and way to go reading a book so ahead of your level :) Holocaust books aren't my favorite because they're so sad to me, but I'm glad we have them. I'm glad people can read about how drastically wrong things can get and we need to learn from them.

so cool your writing a book of short stories! good luck with the writing competition :D

Rocketgirl said...

Thank you kika

Taminator said...

I like reading books about the Holocaust and this one sounds good. I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Iliana said...

Great review Rocketgirl. I still haven't read anything by Cynthia Ozick but The Shawl is going on my list.

Good luck with your book!

Rocketgirl said...

Thank you:)